The biennial Photonics Ireland conference series is the premier event for photonics research in Ireland, running since 2007. It covers a wide range of topics in Photonics, including:
Thank you to everyone who attended
Joint First Prize (€375 each):
Andrea Pacheco (Tyndall)Robert McKenna (TCD)
Runner-Up Prize (€250):
Samuel Streeter (Dartmouth, USA)
The poster prizes were generously sponsored by SPIE, and presented by Dr. Andrew Brown, Senior Director of Global Business Development at SPIE. Prizes were judged based on scientific content, visual presentation of the poster, and the engagement of the presenter during the session, and were awarded through a combination of a judging panel and online votes from conference attendees. The overall quality was excellent, and the judges had a hard time deciding between the top posters; ultimately, they awarded a joint first prize, and a single runner-up prize. The winning posters were:
- Andrea Pacheco (Tyndall): "Neonate chest phantom with realistic geometry and tissue optical properties"
- Robert McKenna (TCD): "Optimisation of high order surface gratings for semiconductor lasers"
- Samuel Streeter (Dartmouth, USA): "Exploring texture analysis methods for high spatial frequency structured light imagery of tumour tissue"
Photonics Ireland 2018 was held on:
3-5 September 2018 in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Cork
The break with the traditional biennial format is to avoid clashing with ECOC2019, which will be held in Dublin in 2019. The Photonics Ireland 2018 conference is co-organised by Cork Institute of Technology and Maynooth University, with co-chairs:
- Dr. William Whelan-Curtin (Liam O’Faolain) (Centre for Advanced Photonics & Process Analysis, CIT)
- Dr. Bryan Hennelly (Biomedical Engineering Group, NUIM)
The three plenary speakers have been confirmed. They are:
- Prof. Malte Gather (University of St Andrews UK)
- Prof. Miles Padgett (University of Glasgow, UK)
- Dr. Joost van Kerkhof (LioniX International, NL)
See their bios, and the bios of the other invited speakers, in the Speakers section.
A number of companies and organisations have generously supported Photonics Ireland 2018, and the organisers are extremely grateful to them all. See the full list of our sponsors here, and don’t forget to visit the exhibition booths during the conference!
Follow us on Twitter: @PhotonicsIre18
Or you can contact the Organising Committee at: email@example.com